This Italian girl LOVES meatballs and pasta, but I wanted to make some simple ones that have hidden veggies that my one-year-old daughter would also enjoy. These turkey meatballs take 20-minutes to make and have carrots, onion, and spinach hidden inside. They’re moist and delicious and so so easy to make.
If you wanted to freeze these meatballs then you could exclude adding the marinara until serving.
20-Minute Veggie & Turkey Meatball
- 1 lb. ground turkey or ground chicken
- 1 large egg (or 1/4 cup egg whites)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/4 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, grated or finely chopped
- 1/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce (I love Raos Brand)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Optional for topping: parsley and grated parmesan
- Place all the ingredients (minus the marinara, olive oil, and optional toppings) in a large bowl. Stir together. You don't want to overmix the meatball mixture but make sure it is mixed through.
- Form meat mixture into small meatballs. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat in 2 tbsp olive oil. Once hot, place meatballs in the pan. Let cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until brown.
- Turn heat down to medium-low. Add the marinara sauce to the pan and gently toss meatballs to coat. Cover your pan and cook for about 10-15 minutes, occasionally stirring, until meatballs are cooked through (internal temperature of 165 degrees.)
- Serving Suggestions:
- Top with fresh chopped parsley and grated parmesan.
- Serve with pasta of choice. We love Jovial Brand Gluten Free Brown Rice Pasta.
- May need to heat extra marinara if serving with pasta.