Okay, I can’t handle these photos of Temple. She woke up from her nap right when it was time to take the pictures and what’s better than chunky baby hands posing with food?! NOTHING! As you can see, these easy fish cakes were a huge hit with my little one. I love this dish cause the ingredients are things I can prep on Sunday and use throughout the week for different recipes. I love using my instant pot to steam up my sweet potatoes, and I follow this easy recipe. I usually cook three at one time (sometimes I have to cut them in half if they are long sweet potatoes.) I steam up a big head of broccoli and use some for this recipe and then use the rest for different meals through the week!
I hope you and your little ones enjoy this recipe. Also, I love pairing mine with my Easy Lemon Aioli. Just combine the three ingredients below and enjoy on top of your fish cakes.
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise (I love Primal Kitchen brand)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Salmon Sweet Potato Cakes
- 1 6oz cooked salmon fillet
- 1 large mashed sweet potato (should equal about 2 cups when mashed)
- about 1/2 cup steamed and chopped broccoli
- 2 tsp breadcrumbs
- avocado or olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
MethodYou can cook your salmon, broccoli, and sweet potatoes however you like then combine them for this easy recipe! However, I included how I cook each below. I always make extra of the sweet potatoes and broccoli to have on hand for the week to add in other meals.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Rinse and pat dry salmon. Place on a parchment paper lined sheet pan and top with a drizzle of avocado or olive oil. Season with a pinch of sea salt. Bake until salmon is just cooked through, approximately 15 minutes. Don't overcook, so the salmon stays moist and easier for baby to eat.
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes:
- I like to cook up 2-3 sweet potatoes for the week, and I always follow this easy instant pot recipe! Takes about 30 minutes from start to finish so I'd start these before you begin cooking your salmon and broccoli.
- I use my Xtrema Nontoxic silicone steamer basket to steam my broccoli. I place it inside my Xtrema 2.5 quart versa pot, and it takes about 12 minutes to cook! So easy and I don't have to worry about any plastic leaching into our food.
Directions once you've cooked your salmon, sweet potatoes, and broccoli:
- Chop your cooked salmon into small bitesize pieces. Mash your sweet potato (about 2 cups), and chop your steamed broccoli (about 1/2 cup). Add everything to a bowl with 2 tsp. of breadcrumbs and salt. Stir to combine.
- With hands, form into small patties.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat in a little avocado or olive oil. Fry your fish cakes for about 2 minutes per side. Let cool and enjoy!