Ear infections are no fun but super common, especially for kiddos. Temple had her first ear infection a few weeks back, and we tried some natural remedies, and they worked! I have to give a big thanks to my pediatrician who tries to solve things naturally when possible. Look for signs early- ear pulling, runny nose, drainage, and fever. The quicker you notice, the easier it is to kick that infection naturally! You may think this seems like a lot of things but it is super simple and I am willing to do all the things to avoid having to turn to medicine.
I recommend the book, How to Raise A Healthy Child In Spite Of Your Doctor. I realize the title of this book is a bit ridiculous, but it is packed with helpful tips and natural solutions for treating your child at home. He has sections for ear infections, cold, fever, etc. I found it helps put my mind at ease to read what is normal and to not run to our pediatrician for any ailment where I risk getting our child even more sick by being in a doctors office around other sick kiddos. In this book, Mendelsohn (a leading Pediatrician) talks about how antibiotics would do absolutely no good for ear infections. “Their use may slightly shorten the duration of pain and infection, but the trade-off is that the antibiotics also reduce the body’s natural immune response. Consequently, in order to slightly reduce the duration of the infection, you increase the possibility that the child will have new infections every four to six weeks.” He includes a quick reference guide to earaches with some amazing quick tips! Again, highly recommend this book. I have highlighter marks throughout the whole thing and always reference it when anyone in our household is feeling sick.
Below I’ve listed what we do and the products I recommend when you or your LO seem to have an infection coming along. Any recommendations you have for naturally curing an ear infection? Leave a comment and let me know so we can all see them!
NOTE: I AM NOT A DOCTOR and ALWAYS recommend speaking with your pediatrician or doing your research before following what we do. These supplements and natural remedies are what works for my family.
Garlic Ear Drops:
- This is the #1 natural remedy for ear infections. We use this brand for kids.
- We do 2 little drops 2-3 times a day in her ear(s).
- I like to do the drops while I am nursing Temple so that it has time to get down in the ear.
- Garlic is antibiotic and antiviral.
- Roller Blend of 3 drops of lavender EO, 3 drops Melrose, 3 drops of lemon EO diluted in fractionated coconut oil and rubbed around outside of the ear(s).
- I do this 2-3 times a day, usually at the same time that I am nursing Temple and putting the Garlic Oil in her ear(s).
- Roller Blend of 3-5 drops of OnGuard or Thieves with fractionated coconut oil. I roll this on the bottoms of our daughter’s feet every night when she is sick or around anyone that has been sick. During the winter months, I especially recommend doing this nightly for an immunity boost!
- If you are looking for some roller bottles, then I recommend Share Oils.
SEE YOUR CHIROPRACTOR:
- THIS IS SOO IMPORTANT! We get adjusted every 2-3 weeks, but when any of us have an ear infection, we go weekly. My pediatrician even recommends going twice a week during acute illness or at least once every week to help drain ears. You want to make sure your nervous system is functioning without interference. Since the nervous system controls and coordinates every function of the body, checking and correcting for misalignment that causes nerve inference may help baby with proper development and healing and may help with many common ailments such as colic, ear infections, reflux, breastfeeding/latching, and much more!
- We see Dr. Nicole Jackson at Venn Chiropractic. She specializes in pregnant mamas and babies- We love her!
BRIAR ROSE DROPS:
- I LOVE these drops that my holistic pediatrician showed me. He recommends drops daily for the whole family during the fall/flu season. For adults, 50 drops daily (you can’t taste it at all- we add it to water) and for Temple (12 months old) 5 drops daily.
- When you are around someone sick or start feeling icky, you can up that dosage to 3x a day! Ex: Temple has 5 drops/3x a day when she has an ear infection.
- I buy mine from our pediatrician, or you could order from Amazon.
- Like any sickness, water is SO important to stay hydrated. I keep this water bottle with us at all times and offer it to my child regularly.
- Coconut Water- My favorite brand is Harmless Harvest.
- Bone Broth- I love making my own and recommend following my sister’s recipe if you’ve never made bone broth. If I can’t make my own, then I buy Bonefide Provisions at Whole Foods. I always add a little turmeric powder (anti-inflammatory), lemon juice, minced garlic (naturally antibiotic) and lemon juice. Bone broth is rich in minerals to support our immune system.
A moist compress or Heating Pad:
- Soak a washcloth in warm water, squeeze out the excess water, fold it, hold it over your ear. The warmth and moisture can help loosen congestion in the ear. This can be difficult to keep babies still, but if your kids are uncomfortable I’ve heard, it can aid in some relief.
- You can put a few drops of breast milk in the ear(s). The antibodies found in the milk can help with ear infections. The warmth from the milk can also help sooth some of the pain.
- Breastfeeding lessons the likelihood of ear infections with the immunities you are passing along so keep breastfeeding as often as you can when your LO is sick. The comfort and warmth of your body will also keep them relaxed.
- Blow your nose often if you have some mucus along with an earache. We use a Nose Frida but be careful not to suck too hard.
- dairy is a mucus causing food, so we avoid it when sick.
- Culina– coconut-based yogurt
- Kite Hill– my other favorite dairy-free brand!
- SO important to take these daily for digestion and gut health, but extra important when feeling ill- even an ear infection. I recommend this one and this one for babies and this one and this one for a woman.
FISH OIL/COD LIVER OIL:
- Like probiotics, the whole family takes this daily- sick or not!
- Our whole family takes Green Pasture Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil daily but ALWAYS when sick. It comes with a dropper, and for her age/weight, we give our 12-month old 1.5ML daily. I just drop it straight into her mouth, but you could add it to food.
- I recommend supplementing with Vitamin D daily for your whole family, but especially during winter when we aren’t out in the sun getting the natural Vitamin D we need. THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT!
- Vitamin D is shown to help prevent ear infections. It is good to have daily but when sick in any way I highly recommend it.
- Temple takes Nordic Naturals right now, but we also love this one and this one for kiddos. Dosage is on the back of the packaging and is measured according to weight. My pediatrician stresses how important this is daily during any onset of sickness.
- NATURAL VITAMIN D: Try to get out in the sun or take a 20-minute walk! That sun exposure and fresh air are so important when ill.
Cool Mist Humidifier:
- We have this one. We let this run during nap time and bedtime for our child when she has an ear infection.
Diffuse YL Thieves or Doterra OnGuard (they do the same thing IMO)
- You can use one of these in a diffuser- for adults and kids. I love diffusing this in Temple’s room when she has an ear infection or sick at all.
- For baby, I add 3 drops to a roller bottle and fill the rest with fractionated coconut oil. I roll this on her feet every night before bedtime when she has an earache or any sickness.
Melaleuca (Tea Tree Oil):
- Roller blend: a few drops of tea tree with fractionated coconut oil in a roller. I rub this along Temple’s spine every 3-4 hours when she had her ear infection or any sickness.
- If congested along with an earache: We put Temple in the bathroom with us, turn on the shower, and shut the door, so it gets steamy. Steam helps to loosen mucus and congestion.
- Wellness Mama has a great homemade recipe that is super easy to make and saves you $$!
- Great for cold, bacterial infection and the immune system. Contains Vitamin A, C, B and is rich in antioxidants.
- For children, I recommend Joy Springs Kids brand. We give this to our 12-month old 3x a day when she is sick.
- We all take Mary Ruth’s Morning Multivitamin Daily but ALWAYS when sick. Our 12-month old takes 1/4 tsp daily, and I take 2 tbsp. Daily. I recommend talking with your pediatrician about the right amount for your LO.
- Extra sleep and rest are just as important as hydration when you’re feeling sick. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY and rest, rest, rest as much as you can.
- For kiddos, give them lots of snuggles! The hormone, oxytocin, is a wonderful thing. Snuggles for everyone!